- Fish ,medium sized pieces-400 to 500 gms
- Kashmiri chili powder-2 to 2.5 tbsp(see notes)
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 to 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek powder-1/8 tsp
- Black pepper powder-1/8 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Shallots,sliced-5 to 6 nos
- Ginger,crushed- 1.5 tbsp
- Garlic,crushed-1.5 tbsp
- Curry leaves-2 sprigs
- Kudampuli / Fish tamarind / kokum- 2 to 3 small pieces( soaked in water)
- Water-1 to 1.5 cups( or as required)
- Salt-to taste
Combine together kashmiri chili powder,turmeric powder,coriander powder , fenugreek powder ,black pepper powder and few tbsp of water to form a thick paste.Keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan/manchatti. Gently swirl the pan,to coat the sides of the pan with oil.
Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.Add shallots,ginger,garlic and curry leaves.
Saute until it turns golden .Reduce the flame to low,add the masala paste,saute for few minutes or until the masala leaves the sides of the pan.
Add 1 to 1.5 cups of water( depending upon the amount of gravy you require) and mix well.
Add kudampuli / tamarind and salt to taste.
Bring it to a boil,over medium heat.Now add the fish pieces and mix well.
Cover and cook until fish is done.Uncover and cook until the gravy turns thick.Add more curry leaves.
Remove from heat and keep covered for at least one hour for the flavors to blend in.
Serve with rice.